Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sahel shimaly

The north coast of Egypt lies along the Mediterranean sea, and about an hour west of Alexandria is where most Egyptians spend their summers each year. The coast is called sahel shimaly, and is lined with resort after resort and everyone flocks there at some point to enjoy the beaches.

Everyone in my family has a place there so we always wind up spending time there, and I love it. Our area has clean, private beaches with pristine, turquoise waters. Every now and then you'll spot a vendor patrolling the beach selling fresca, a favorite of my brother's. It is thin wafer sandwich with honey in the middle. So light and yummy to eat on the beach.

My family and I came here for 3 days to spend eid and just get out town. It was paradise. We always have a great time no matter what we do.

The nightlife is Sahel is really active, and gets super crowded. The traffic sucks too. Mixed with the crazy egyptian sense of driving, and my cousin's fear of driving at night, it is really nerve racking to go out. There's a mix of all different crowds, but really, a lot of nobody's trying to be somebody's. I'm not the kind of person who travels to seek a nightlife or that kind of social atmosphere, but having the opportunity to hang out with my cousins and smoke shisha is always a good time to me.

The way there has us pass the pyramids so I got to enjoy scenery on the way and back. we also took a stop on our road trip to Carrefour. Carrefour has a very special place in my heart, as my brother and I would love going to this French mega grocery/goods store when we summered in France. It was like our big trip out of the country and we looked forward to it every time. Having these stores in Egypt now is so cool for me. Oh Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment