Sunday, July 8, 2012

2 hours in Marrakech & half a day in Casablanca

I left cascades d'ouzoud for a 2 hour drive to Marrakech before boarding a bus for essaouira. So i decided to take a 2 hour break in Kech before the 3 hour bus ride to the beach.

I was amazed at how much I remembered, and I knew exactly where to go. So i stored my bags at the bus station and grabbed a cab to the djemma al fna. Since the stalls were still in the process of being set up, and thus food wasnt being served yet, I remembered to go to mechoui Alley. Just the mention of that makes my mouth salivate. I got 1/2 kg of meat, bread, and went to town. Sooo delicious. Ironically, with the place empty since it was the end of their day, we sat next to a middle aged American couple from florida. They were so friendly and curious and I admit that I felt like the shit to be doling out advice to my countrymen in this country. I still am impressed at how much I remembered about all the cities, wayfinding, etc. It was just the perfect break we needed to endure another 3 hour journey to Essaouira.

On my last day, i again had to take a 3 hour bus from essaouira back to kech, where i would take the train up to Casablanca to later catch my flight. So I took another 2 hour break in marrakech and this time, went to the Jardins Majorelle again. They'd recently painted the place and the colors were more vibrant, and the air was so cool here compared to the rest of the city. After, of course, i wound back up at Mechoui Alley right at their peak time and went big this time: 1kg of meat AND a tanjia- which is a type of cooking kech is known for. Loved every last bite.

I'm still in my itis, nearly 24 hours later.

Then I finally got to Casablanca where I finally got to see BFF!!! We didn't have as much time as we originally wanted, so we did a tour through the parts and caught up over ice cream and cigarettes. Sooo crazy how this small, amazing world works.
i still and now more than ever, love morocco!

No comments:

Post a Comment