Saturday, January 1, 2011

i'm going to india!!

i have this weird habit of flying on new years eve. but i'll be honest, it's cheaper and the plane is always empty, so i get myself an entire row to spread out. when you fly often, you become strategic about these things.

so why am i going to india? and better yet, why am i going to india alone for 3 weeks? well, i recently got a new job and managed to get 4 weeks off before starting. i was trying to think of what new, exotic location i could visit, when my friend told me she was going to be visiting family in india at the same time. india has always been my dream destination, but of course, i'd feel better to be with someone who's familiar with the country and language. so i applied for the visa, got my ticket, and within a week i was fully commited to going- in one week's time! the problem is that i havent been able to coordinate with my friend, and hence, im doing a completely solo trip.

i'm splitting it up into 5 cities: mumbai, agra, jaipur, delhi, and goa. i'm taking the 24 hour sleeper train to agra, then train to jaipur, to delhi, and then flying from delhi to goa. the only thing i planned before coming were my hotels- the rest is off the cuff. but the first thing i'll do in each city is buy the train ticket to the next city. i did my best booking hostels online, and i'm crossing my fingers that i'm the only living thing sleeping in my rooms.

i spent about a week packing for my 4 week journey. every day, i took clothes out of my pile of potentials. i left myself with just enough outfits to fit in my backpack that can double as both india wearable clothes and layering options for london. but since london is about 30 degrees, like nyc, i decided that it'd be best to ship my coat and boots to my friend's house in london, so that i dont have to lugg them around in my backpack. smart. like with any trip, i always pack an empty lesportsac duffel bag to fill with the souvenirs i plan to purchase. and boy do i plan to make a lot of purchases.

as for everything else, i can really keep on a tight budget here. i'm a bit of a diva when it comes to accomodations, but i dont mind eating local and eating cheap. i dont plan to drink at all for the entire time im here. and im planning trains that are overnight trips, so as to avoid paying for hotels. the last leg of the trip will be the ultimate reward-- 3 days on a beach. and i dont care what sites they have in goa. by that time, i will be so toured-out that i will just want to sit on a beach and eat.all.day.

i'm not worried about being alone, but i am at the same time. i think i feel more guilty about being irresponsible with the shots situation. granted, i decided to go 2 weeks ago! but it never came to me to get vaccinated before coming here, i have never been before any of my trips! and my dr. said that even if she had given me the shots, i wouldnt have become immune until i returned(takes 3-4 weeks to develop immunity), so it was useless. i have the malaria meds and antibiotics in case of the most desired, diarrhea, but still. she did say that since ive practically grown up in egpyt, and been to thailand, vietnam and china, that all have the same disease threats, i must have developed some sort of natural immunity by now. so i mean, that's a little reassuring. but i've never not eaten street food anywhere, or feared taking showers or brushing my teeth. i can even drink the toxic water in egypt! i hate to be that hypochondriac traveler who assumes everything in another country is dirty, but im going to have to be careful and brush my teeth with bottled water and carry around purel, which i hate, and it's ironic because the hospital (where i used to work) has it everywhere and i always refused to use it. here, i think i should be safe and not sorry.

my flights were awesome. best american flight i ever flew, and british airways is always a great flight. at the aa lounge, i met this inspirational woman on her own solo trip to jordan. she's about my mother's age and is going in pursuit of love. it was really nice to hear her talk of her experience and describe her feelings. it seems that love has the same effect on all of us, no matter what age. she's the one who got me to set up this blog. so let's see how long i actually commit to this. it might be very useful when i start feeling lonely and need to communicate by any means.

alright, namaste, next time we speak, i'll be in mumbai!!

is there any better way to start off the new year, than with a new job, and in a new country??

happy new year!

1 comment:

  1. Sabeel, you are a fantastic writer!!!!!! I'm so happy you started this.

    ReplyDelete