Monday, October 15, 2012

Machu Picchu

People flock to Peru to visit these amazing Inca ruins every year. I was no exception.

Machu Picchu is one of the only Inca sites undiscovered, and thereby untouched by the Spanish conquistadores. The site wasn't actually "discovered" until 1911 by Hiram Bingham, who cleaned it up and made it accessible for us to visit now. There are really only 3 ways to visit the site. Either you hike the inca trail, you take the Perurail train, or you drive, but even then at some point you need to take a train.

My trip to Peru revolved around my visit to Machu Picchu. I started in Arequipa and Puno to allow myself to acclimate to the altitude so that I'd be ready for it. I stayed in Cuzco for 6 days for the same reason, and to be able to pick a beautiful day to go. Everyday that I've been in Cuzco, I've been hit by thunderstorms. Everyday on the forecast, there was nothing but rain. And when I bought my train ticket, I had no choice on the date, she sold me the only ticket available to visit, on my last day in Cuzco. All week I'd been very anxious about my visit and the weather, but there was nothing I could do but make the best of it.

Two days before, forecast called for perfect weather. And every day after, rain.

There's a little travel angel that sits on my shoulder to give me great weather on important visits-- just like when I went to the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall.

The train ride is nearly 4 hours long, but it's cute and travels along the most scenic, beautiful path to the overpriced town of Aguas Calientes sitting right at the base of Machu Picchu. On the way there and back I sat with very nice middle-aged travelers from Germany, Canada, Peru and Argentina. Everyone had some interesting stories to tell.

From there, I took a bus up to the site- which by the way, is very scary. There is a very narrow path winding all the way up the side of the mountain with nothing to keep you from falling over. These drivers go back and forth so many times a day that care isn't exactly a consideration.

When I got there, not only was it sunny with perfect blue skies, but it was so warm and beautiful (I got a pretty bad sunburn). When I saw Machu Picchu, I giggled like a little school girl and i think i took about 400 pictures. It is just incredible. Really awe inspiring. How the hell did they get those stones up there? Why?

I spent 4 hours hiking through the site and all the nearby remains. But every time I stopped to look at the mountain top, it just took my breath away. It is so spectacular, and it is such a treat to find something undestroyed and in beautiful condition. There's so much to see. Just amazing. 2400m, 8,000ft up. And the scenery of the mountains surrounding you is so dramatic and stunning.

I signed their "control" book and it felt so official, so amazing. My name is in a book that proves that I was there. So cool!!

Just as I was finishing up my visit and getting on the bus to leave, guess what? A thunderstorm came in. Am I lucky or what??

I visited Machu Picchu. Because of how difficult this past week has been, and how physically challenging it is to visit Peru, this visit is much more significant than any other to me.

It's so crazy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment