Monday, April 16, 2012

And then there is the public hamam

Whoah. A totally different experience than the first one I went to in casa. This was like taking a step back 1,000 years in time. I sat in a stone vault with marble floors (literally built 1,000 years ago). There were two rooms, the super hot room with the scalding water well, and the heated floors, and the room everyone sat and scrubbed in. No frills, just hot water and steam... you provide the rest. This hamam was flooded with women of all ages and shapes. It was almost like a family event or a social gathering, and everyone sat there, individually scrubbing away.

In this place, I had to go all Arabic and try to understand drija (moroccan) while I spoke masri (Egyptian). Anyway, it wasn't exactly a spa-like experience but it did the job. I felt more flustered than I did relaxed, but mainly because it was new and I truly had never desired to see what the inevitable fate of age does to the female body in such a scale. The massage i got was spot on. I'm feeling a little sore from all the stairs, hills, and walking, so it was nice.

I'm pretty adventurous and I can easily handle uncomfortable situations. In other words, I wasn't freaked out by the weird experience. I would imagine that going to a public hamam would be really different for the average tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment