Monday, April 23, 2012

Quenching thirst

So I met up with my new israeli friends and we did a couple of laps around the djema and then ate dinner there.

Again we had great conversations about everything: family, travel, Nepal, Egypt, Israel, politics, religion, food, everything. And personally, I thought it was a real treat to bond with them.

We decided that we were thirsty and we were determined to find beer. But, where? We tried looking for Brits-- they would know. We found an American couple, but they had no idea. I only remembered one place I saw in my book, but I left the book at my hotel. So we walked there from my memory, and luckily did find it easily. The place was Jad Mahal, on recommendation from a friend. We were dressed like backpacking tourists: flip flops, curly hair everywhere, scarves...u know the look. Well the bouncer gave us a really uncomfortable scan of our outfits, and honestly we didn't want to drink there anyway. So they recommended another place. Still posh. Went there, 60 dh a beer. No. Another place, same thing. We ended up walking way out in the ville nouvelle and places got seedier and seedier, so we took a taxi back and tried one last place near the djemma. Same thing, 50dh. As we walked away, the bouncer recommended one last place- grand tazi hotel. And guess what, it was literally down the street from our hotels and only 30 dh for the Moroccan flag beer. That's where all the Brits were. Boy, were we laughing at ourselves. We toured parts of Marrakech we would have otherwise never seen, and in the end, it was so close to home.

I gave her my email, so hopefully we will meet up in NYC, and who knows, maybe we'll go to Cuba together with our French/Israeli passports. :-)

Off to ouarzazate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment