Monday, April 23, 2012

Bus-ted

Wow, my bus ride to ouarzazate was no joke. 5 hours of super windy roads through the atlas mountains. We were at a very high altitude and again, the sharp turns, if missed, can have you falling off hundreds of feet.

The driver was a real jerk, and took no opportunity to exercise caution on the roads, or care for the passengers. I sat in the back, and nearly every person in our back half was vomiting the whole way there. The poor children had it the worst of course. One sharp turn after another, and he didn't slow down for a single one-- our half of the bus just kept rocking back and forth. Our stomachs were turning and heads were spinning. I kept hitting my head against the window, or the seat in front of me, or the annoying person next to me.

I was so car sick and i tried using every trick not to vomit. I had to breathe very heavily and I just got to a point 2 hours in, where I just broke down and I cried like a baby. One person is puking after another, I could barely breathe bc I feared I was next, and I dunno, I just lost it. But the weird thing was that crying actually made me feel so much better. Maybe the gasping for my breath... I dunno. It was really rough.

When we finally got to a rest stop, you should've seen how many barf bags were being thrown out. I wanted to punch the driver. If my father had been on that bus, he would've started a major scene and cursed out the driver and threatened him to slow down for the sake of the kids. I wish someone had done that.

When we finally got to ouarzazate, I was so weak, I could barely stand up.

I decided then and there that my voyage ends here. I'm not going further south. I was thinking about getting down to zagora to get closer to the sand dunes, but I can't endure another bus trip like that, especially not another 7 hour one. I'm going to just take it easy, swim in the pool at the hotel to try to restore my strength, and just look around town tomorrow.

If I want to see sand dunes, I can always just take a walk in Cairo, or go to see the pyramids near my aunt's house. I don't need to travel for hours here and feel miserable during my last few days here. Anyway, I would only see the tip of the sahara here when really, I'd be better off seeing more in Algeria, but the borders are closed.

Thank god I had decided to book a flight back up north. I could not go back through those mountains again.

No comments:

Post a Comment