Friday, April 27, 2012

In general

Morocco is a really amazing place. It is so full of history and life and flavor and culture. Ancient traditions still carry on and give morocco its unique quality that's unlike any other maghrebi country, and certainly unlike any other Arab country.

I love that moroccans value themselves, and their families. Love runs deep here. And I noticed that fathers and husbands play a much more hands on and affectionate role with both their kids and wives-- far more than I ever saw in Egypt.
They still exude the generosity and kindness that is undeniably an "Arab" thing, sometimes the chauvinism too. But whenever someone learns I'm Egyptian, their whole demeanor changes. They're so much more generous and they look after me like one of their own. They say, wow, we never have another Arab traveling here, please how can we make you comfortable?

And I find the hamam to be a fascinating establishment. it is not just the fact that both men and women have careful rituals for maintenance and health of the body, but it's a social and family event as well. Everyone huddles in groups. Butt naked, chatting away. There are special gloves, soaps, ghassoul clay masks, oils, etc. All to take care of the physical body. We consider it pampering, but they just consider it health. and they've been doing it for a millennia.

I love that food is so fresh, animals are slaughtered for the meal. And produce is hand picked that day. Everywhere you travel, you see the sheep and the lamb grazing the fields.
Even the grocery stores are stocked with quality produce and meats. And the bread, yogurt, and the butter... Everything is so delicious!!! There are hardly any packaged or prepared foods.

For the most part, women wear jelabas in the street. And they are beautiful. Not all women, there is still a largely progressive population here too, but traditions are kept. And women marry in kaftans, with henna, in an elaborate affair.

And I love that for me, it is like the best of my two halves. I get to indulge in the fun and rich Arab side without neglecting my french side. The Arab half that loves life and food and people, that knows the culture and language and customs. And the French half with the food, history, language and influences. French is spoken everywhere and the fashion is very French. Not to mention, in the grocery stores they have ALL the French products that I hoard whenever I go to France.

Oh and something needs to be said about the infrastructure. Because the roads and public transportation are phenomenal. Extremely reliable and available. It is so easy to get around and it's cheap.

So generally, I was really impressed with morocco. It far exceeded my expectations and every idea that I ever imagined about it.

It completely changed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment