Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ouaw ouaw ouarzazate

Ouarzazate (wear-za-zete) is such a beautiful town, but there isn't much to do here. It's pretty empty.

This city is really only a stop-over for those on their way to the desert excursions, so most people only spend one night and see the kasbah, and then linger by the pool until they depart for their next destination. But I like it here a lot. Again, the weather is perfect, it's quiet, no traffic, and no one gives me a hard time!!

I had the most delicious lunch today at a fabulous place called Douyria. It is really cute, clean and the menu is so interesting. I had a tajine with camel, figs, and almonds. It was divine. Pricey, but worth it. I'd recommend this place to anyone coming here.

It took me the entire day to recover from the bus trip yesterday. I sunbathed, swam, and read. Tonight I decided to stay in since I have to be at the airport at 3am. The hotel is about 2km into town- which I'm fine walking during the day, but I'm not going at night.

Wow the city just erupted because barca scored!!

I sat and chatted with a man at my hotel who is from the desert and lives there. He organizes desert excursions. We talked for hours of many things, and honestly, i didnt want to talk to him at first, but then found him really interesting. Ppl stare at him questioning why he wears a turban or the traditional cotton robes. He says matter of factly it is his tradition and tradition is important. He has a very good heart and told me that he won't marry before 30 to give him life experiences that are important. I found that so surprising coming from a self proclaimed simple man who lives a simple life in the desert. You would think he'd be married with a soccer team of kids by now, but no. And he was telling me about the lifestyles of some moroccans and how they drink and smoke hash, and he said, "these are Muslimeen-light." (like coca light, or diet soda). I found it really funny. He said "here in morocco we have the Muslimeen and the Muslimeen-light. People who do bad things, they are light. " Funny.


From the restaurant's terrace, I saw this beautiful oasis/lake in the middle of the desert there. I had contemplated going over to check it out. But good thing I didn't!! The guy from the desert told me that that lake is dangerous-- it has quicksand!!! Many people have died going swimming and/or going near the lake. It actually exists!?

After he left, I ordered dinner and wandered my way into the kitchen to ask the women if I could help them with the cooking. They were so sweet and surprised, but happily shared their duties. We talked about Moroccan food and Egyptian food, and we laughed at the fact that Egyptians are planning lunch at breakfast, and dinner at lunch-- all we do is think about food.

Only downside was that I saw how unclean the kitchen is, and that the veggies arent fresh or worse- some of them were canned and smelled so bad. And for the price I was paying, that was not cool. They had chicken that was cooked earlier this morning hanging out in a pot and they put it in a tajine and pretended it was "tajine". The more i saw, the more afraid i felg, so i had to leave and hope for the best. Well it was not good at all. The salad tasted rotten, the tajine terrible. I was scared to eat but I also didn't want to offend or embarrass these women I just hung out with. Since I have become very friendly with the preggers cat here, she very loyally ate all the meat that I secretly diverted to her. Just like a kid, when no one was looking, I threw the chicken her way. We looked out for each other, I am a crazy cat lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment