Thursday, April 19, 2012

Marrakech!!!!!

I'm finally here!! And despite arriving at my hotel around 9:30 pm I was too excited to stay in. I'm a 30 second walk from the djemma al fna which was buzzing with activity.

I took a walk through to see all the options for food and observe everything going on. Since I wasn't really hungry, I had a bowl of snails and a cup of mint tea.







In the morning, the djemma empties out leaving behind only the fresh orange juice stalls and henna women. For less than 50 cents, I started my day with the freshest orange juice and the obligatory henna tattoo.




I visited a few sites and shops along the way. The palaces are all starting to look alike now, so im definitely getting a little bored of sight seeing. i could actually wrap up marrakech tomorrow, and maybe make an excursion of the sights south of marrakech. i do miss fes and im giving major thought to the idea of going back before i leave. it's the same distance from casa as marrakech so getting to the airport would be the same endeavor... i did call my mr. Y and he of course is begging me to return.





while i was sitting at the koutubia mosque, this man approached me with his egyptian accent and asked me if i knew where there was a garden nearby. long story short, he couldnt believe he was meeting another egyptian in morocco, and asked if we could go out or meet up later. i of course politely rejected and he said, ok if we happen to bump into each other again, we shall. well, of ALL the cyber cafes in this town, i was seated next to him and could not believe it. i actually moved upstairs but the guy who works here said to me, oh you're the egyptian girl!!! he was telling me about you!! i might be nice and go have ice cream with him or something. this trip is so random and hilarious!!!



It astonishes me to see what european tourists wear and what they think is a) fashionable and b) appropriate to wear in a muslim country. Hot pants and mini skirts do not an appropriate outfit make.

I think I'm hamam'd out. I went three times in 10 days... my skin is feeling a little sore. I can't seem to find a carpet that I love and if I don't love it, I can't justify paying 2000 dh for one. For lunch, I went to mechoui alley where I had the most delicious roasted lamb sandwich. It was finger licking good (except I never lick my fingers, eww).

At first glance, I can't say that I love Marrakech the way I loved fes. It's too much of a tourist's city and I can't walk 10' without someone trying to sell me something. If you make eye contact, you're in trouble. I looked at a monkey and 5 min later, it was sitting on my head. And i had to pay for that... But he was super cute!!





In fact, all the food stalls are extremely competitive for your business. I choose based on the most crowded place with the least annoying host. they make it fun though and let you take pictures



Finally, my hotel won a hostelworld award but I wonder how. Granted it is a stones throw away from the djemma, but it smells like a mildewy bathroom and the wifi doesn't work, hence the time at the cyber cafe. I can't stand it, but the price was right at 300 dh/night. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment