Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rabat/Sale

Rabat is the opposite of Casablanca: quiet, clean, no traffic. I took the one hour train and found a super cheap, super efficient tram running through Rabat, making it so easy to get around. I really hated casa and I'm so happy to get out.

I'm staying in Sale, a town just north of the capital. it's far less touristy and much less expensive. I found this amazing little riad where I'm spending the night before taking a 5 hour bus to chefchaouen. If i had taken it directly from casa, it would have been an 8 hour ride, even though the train here was only 1 hour long.

This riad is situated right in the midst of a medina. So winding streets with no sense of direction. I happened to stumble upon a shop selling raffia carpets and watched the man make some. Of course I ended up buying one as well as a straw bag. Together I paid about $15. Sale is known for these types of carpets, and I would have never gotten it so cheap in another city. It's just early to be lugging souvenirs around.









I did a little tour through town earlier, nothing special to report. But now that the sun set, I'm back at the hotel.

I'm really sick and tired of these loser men and their comments and stares. I'm not even looking cute and I'm dressed way more conservatively than a lot of these local girls are. I feel so unwelcome in this country. If it doesn't improve, I may just flee to Egypt. Dodging skeevy men and being unable to enjoy myself is not my idea of a vacation. Not to mention, I got a terrible cold while I was in casa, so the fun factor is at about a 2/10 right now. I can't even go to cafes or restaurants because they're flooded with men and I clearly don't belong. I am NOT in NYC anymore...

Where are all the tourists??

1 comment: