Monday, April 16, 2012

Volubilis and Moulay Idriss

Everyday here is better than the last! I feel like I'm transported out of this world, out of time, and out of my own self.

My hotel guy, whose name is my last name, looks almost identical to my ex, who is now back and living here in fes (we don't have plans to meet yet, but I'm sure we will). He has this overwhelming effect on me, I like drool on his presence and smile at everything he says and does. He has the same mannerisms and the same eyes and cheek bones that I loved so much about x. He makes me breakfast and I ask him as many questions as possible in the meantime. I need to stay away.

After our delicious breakfast Canadian girl, filipino guy, and I were off on our journey to see volubilis and the Moulay Idriss. We headed to the gare de fes, the train station, which is one of the most beautiful stations I've seen!





We overcame the chaos of having to buy our tickets and while waiting, bumped into the American girls who missed their bus to chefchaouen, so they then decided to join us! Then, while waitig, we met 2 British guys at the station who were on the same itinerary, so we ended up being a group of 7 altogether. Everyone is so fun and so nice!




The train was nice and short, and we sat with 3 black Moroccan women and their cute son. We chatted as best we could and laughed the entire way together. The people here in fes are really kind and have generous hearts.



We negotiated the fare for 2 taxis to take us for the day. 2 taxis and 7 ppl at 700 Dh = super cheap. The drive was about an hour out of Meknes and the scenery was just beautiufl. It was quite comical actually, that in order to open the windows in the backseat, we had to request the crank from the driver, and take turns. only in morocco!





Volubilis are the roman ruins. Yes, roman ruins in morocco. Kind of the same as all roman ruins... We walked through, shot pictures and headed to the village of Moulay Idriss.










When we arrived there, we were starving so we all ordered sandwiches of grilled kofta-- much like the ones I saw at the rest stop. Apparently it is the common local dish of that region. I suddenly became chatty Kathy and was speaking in English, French and Arabic to everyone around me, including the men grilling and the patrons at the table next to us. One of whom was a middle aged man who kept saying how much he loves egyptians- and then insisted I share some of their food. So cute. I also bought these amazingly delicious red olives that I've never before seen or tried. They're sweet and juicy- best I ever had.





We all walked around town, but I was the only one who was able to enter the mausoleum because I'm Muslim. Everyone inside did give me dirty looks and I wondered how or if they would ask me to prove that I was born and raised Muslim... awkwardddd, especially since i no longer follow.





The other people went off through the town, and while i waited near the center, i felt someone grab me from behind--- the old man who loves egyptians! he insisted that i join them for tea, and we chatted away as if we were all friends for a long time... again mixing french, arabic and english, as necessary. he was so cute and kept saying how beautiful i am, and how much he loves me, and how, if he were still young, we would be shacked up in his house together ;-). we laughed for an hour! in the end, i gave them all big kisses and was really sad that i had to go.





By the time we all got back to fes, we were all tired and hungry. So off we went through the souq, in search of pastilla- my other absolute favorite moroccan dish. We encountered some fun along the way, and I bought some spices for the road. We did get a bit lost looking for the restaurant, but mr. Y happened to bump into us and les the way!! We went out afterwards for drinks an shisha at a nice hotel by us and had a nice time.

Then I headed back early to prepare for the early tour of the tannery with Filipino guy.




1 comment:

  1. You should right a blog on what the different colored spices are....

    ReplyDelete