Saturday, April 14, 2012

Salvation ride

I woke up this morning feeling a bit anxious because I hadn't bought a ticket for the 10am bus to fes, and the CTM site was showing only 4 seats left. I planned to check out at 8:30 and head to the station early. But the hotel manager insisted that I eat my included breakfast and he made it quickly for me. (anyone going to chefchaouen: stay at hostal gernika) and thanks to him for that, because the office didn't open until 9:30am Moroccan time, and I had to exercise my greatest virtue: patience. Got my ticket, the bus was on time, my seat was super spacious, and I was sitting next to a hot French guy who would pass out and wind up resting on my shoulder--- c'est pas grave!!!

Now although we took a different route coming into chefchaouen than we did heading to fes, I laughed at myself for the immense fear I had of the roads coming in. Seeing them in daylight was completely different than I had imagined. Paved roads, no steep cliffs. No cars at the bottom... But man, I never ever had thought that morocco was so green and plush. What amazing landscapes!!! I was so tired and desperate to sleep on the bus, but I couldn't get enough of the scenery.

We stopped midway at this rest stop that was serving grilled meats, and the way it worked was: you bought the meat you wanted in kgs, they ground it up for you on the spot, and you delivered your ground meat to the grillers who then prepared your meat. Everyone ate a sandwich but I really wanted to save my appetite for the fassi food, which is supposed to be the best food in morocco. It's in fes that I'm taking the cooking class.







We hardly had any traffic, and I was impressed at how calm and clean fes was upon entry.

Finally, can I just say that my hotel here is an amazing value!?! Yes, it's the most expensive thus far (and still only $40/night) I can't get over it! And there are about 6 other girls staying here. Finally! Females!!

I'm so happy. I can feel myself changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment