Sunday, April 8, 2012

morocco - maroc - marruecos - maghreb - المغرب

morocco!?!

all my life, the two countries i have always been obsessed with visiting, have been india and morocco. after breaking up with 2 moroccan men, my appreciation for all things moroccan had become non-existant, for several years. slowly, i began to overcome the bitterness and restore that curiosity, partly thanks to "l'amour fou" , a wonderful documentary about yves saint laurent and his life with partner, pierre berger (YSL was buried in marrakesh, which is what switched that light back on in my head). so when i was deciding on a 3-week destination that i could manage solo, morocco was my most attractive option.

so, 3 weeks? how am i pulling this off? well... i can't believe i'm here again, but similar to last year's blog through india, i'm here again. i've left my former (new) company, i'm joining a (newer) new one, and i'm going to morocco for 3 weeks in between. and yes, i'm going alone again.

i'm almost in a daze about it, and the realities of both the fact that i quit my last job, and that i am going to morocco, have not yet hit me. even when i just checked in, for a second i wondered if i had packed my passport. then i wondered if i had brought the dirhams i just ordered from bank of america. then the amex. i don't know what's going on with me, and i haven't even taken my xanex yet.

for the past few days, i've been experiencing some anxiety, which could be expected and easily explained after what i've just gone through. for one, i just left a company i had very mixed feelings about, but had been with for 15 months. change is scary. for another, every time i fly, no matter how many times i have flown since i was born, i start worrying about the flight. i have to convince myself that everyday there are hundreds of thousands of flights. all of them land safely, and mine will be included in that statistic. but that's where my xanex comes in handy. it's the only time i ever need it. as exhilarating as it is to board a plane, to check the in-flight program and menu, to open up that packaged teeny tiny blanket, and sometimes socks and a toothbrush if i'm lucky, i still say a prayer and accept the fact that it could be my last flight. ever.

however God and the universe work some amazing miracles and give me signs all the time that everything will be all right. and only 1 hour into my journey, i've already experienced my first miracle. what started off to be what could have been my biggest travel nightmare, turned out better than i could have hoped for. i bought my royal air maroc ticket through delta, assuming that all my amex/delta priveledges would be honored, and i could sit in the delta lounge for the hours leading up to my flight. EXCEPT air maroc and delta are in 2 totally different terminals, and i was going to have to go through terminal 1-- quite possibly THE worst terminal in all the airports i've ever flown through. chaos doesn't even describe it, and i will do my best going forward to avoid flying any of these airlines or ever going through this terminal again. then i worried that my lounge priveledges wouldn't hold up in air france's lounge (who shares with air maroc). upon entry, the guard said my amex platinum wouldn't be accepted here, and after a very brief but manipulative "i'm so confused, this person said this and that person said that," and a few batts of the eyelashes, i was able to walk right in.

and now i'm here, thanking all the positive energies for this soothing sign that i really needed, as well as this mimosa and these free snacks and internet.

i'm such a spoiled brat, i know.

i'm going to morocco!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment