Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ex-cellent adventures

My poor ex. He was my first serious boyfriend and when I say that I was madly in love with him, that doesnt even cut it. We had the best relationship and I've never had as much fun as I did during that time in my life. Our breakup was difficult and sad, and months later, the poor guy got booted. As in sent back to morocco, as in can't come back to the US.

After another breakup with a Moroccan guy (total coincidence, I DO not look for them) I swore off all things Moroccan. It took years for me not to shudder at the mere mention of "morocco". But I did get over it and opened my mind again, after all, it is morocco!

Since I came here to his city, after learning so much about this country from him, I knew that I would have to see him. in fact, it would be unacceptable and offensive if I didn't.

I called him on my third day and we planned to meet up for dinner. The guy had me wait nearly an hour for him, and just when i had told myself i'd wait 10 more min before going home, he showed up. Typical!!

The crazy thing is that he hasn't at all changed. We drove around talking and wound up sitting and having tea somewhere. We got so lost in conversation, we didnt make it to dinner, so we got some sandwiches at a roadside place. I finally got to try the pancreas sausages i've seen around. It was so unglamorous, but I didn't need that- it was just about catching up and being allowed to be in the same country together.





We reminisced and laughed and although I was emotional about seeing him beforehand, I felt really happy and not at all sad. FYI- he's engaged now.

He convinced me to stay in fes one more night so that we could go to a nearby city called Ifrane. As I prepared to meet him, I got kicked out of my hotel- turns out they had booked my room and only decided to tell me at that moment. I managed to pack up all my things, move to another hotel, have 2 cups of tea and write 3 blogs, all before he came and of course he was still late.

Irfane is the cutest little ski town that looks like it belongs in Switzerland, but is just about an hour outside of fes. It's really deserted in the in-between seasons but most people from fes go there in winter and summer to either ski or beat the summer heat. It was so nice to see it. There was even snow on the ground!! In morocco!!



We had dinner and then went to this amazing hotel that reminded me of the one in The Shining.






After everything that happened between us and what happened to him, we're like war buddies and we'll be friends forever. I'll always have a soft spot for him. I joked at how I seem to have the effect of introducing boyfriends to their future wives. He was like, what am I supposed to feel like shit for the rest of my life?? So instead, he agreed to name one of his daughters after me. Easy enough...

He drove at like 900mph and THOSE were the roads that I feared on the bus journey. The roads he told me ppl drove off of, were the roads he was driving like a maniac through. And while I was yelling at him we laughed about the times we belted down to the jersey shore or through long island all those years ago, while I yelled and he accelerated.

Past and present collide.

No comments:

Post a Comment