Friday, April 13, 2012

chefchaouen

If there had to be a city modeled after heaven, it would have to be chefchaouen. With its dramatic rif mountain backdrop with plush green fields, the waterfalls, its amazing blue medina, and its colorful Andalusian residents, this has got to be one of the happiest places on earth.

I did come to morocco largely because of my desperate desire to see this blue city. I can't even use words to describe the sense of tranquility that it evoked within me. It is just a perfect color and an amazing feeling. And it's everywhere.

And what I love is how well preserved this culture and its history is. You see the Spanish influences in their faces. Here, the locals know Spanish more than French. So yet another language to bust out and communicate with. And everything that these vendors were selling in their shops were as much for the locals as the tourists. Those jelabas are worn by all the locals here, they're not just for show, just for tourists. And I loved seeing this group of old, 70s something men congregating in town, all dressed the same, all joking and laughing together. You could see why people here seem to live much longer.

Despite it being overcast and raining for most of the day, my new BFF and I spent the perfect day together. In addition to its blue and natural charms, chefchaouen is also known for its sweets, and we spent much of the day indulging in them. Several different varieties. And throughout the day we'd break for a total of about 10 cups of mint tea in between, or yummy chicken tagine, and of course i started feeding all the street cats. but we eventually just got really hyper from all the sugar and wound up telling funny stories and laughing for hours. I had so much fun, and felt as if we've been friends for years and it was totally normal that we'd be sitting in a cafe all day, here in chefchaouen together like no big deal. I don't know when was the last time I laughed so much or so hard. It felt amazing. Once we got too cold, we went up to the terrace in his hotel. Cutest hotel ever. I wish I had stayed there.

Unfortunately though, it is so cold and it rained all damn day. I am dying for a nice warm jelaba to wear, I'm freezing!! I decided to stay an extra night so I can see more, so tomorrow we are going to meet up and try to go see the waterfalls in the mountains, as long as it stops raining. and we will go shopping for jelabas and carpets!! Yay!!

Now regarding my hotel. Well I chose this one because the owners are Scottish and I thought I'd have an easy time communicating. What I didn't realize was that this is way out of town, up in the mountains. And best yet, taxis can't get to the house. So when I finally got in at 10pm, I had to climb up this dark, steep path about 10m high to get to it with my bags!! I cursed the whole way up. But when I woke up in the morning I had an incredible view overlooking the entire village. The walk into town was a bit of a trek this morning, literally, and I thought about my coworker-friend telling me I should bring a pair of trekking shoes- to which I said hell no, I'm not going trekking. Well, I cursed Tommy the whole way down, slipping on the steep, wet, cobble stone streets in my chucks. The family is super nice but the wifi here sucksss!

I will upload pics later when I get to a computer and working wifi.












No comments:

Post a Comment