Monday, April 23, 2012

Grand vs. Petit taxis

Every city has both grand taxis and petit taxis.

Petit taxis are little hatchback cars that you take to get around the city. Each city has a different color petit taxi: red, blue, beige, etc. Prices vary, but typically you never pay more than 20 dh for a trip within the city. I never ask how much the fare is, I just hand them what I think is fair.

The grand taxis are meant for traveling out of the city. These are all the same through morocco, beige Mercedes' from the 1970s. Usually door handles and window cranks are broken, but who's counting? Grand taxis are meant to have 6 passengers plus the driver. When you're taking one, you have a choice: you either just take a seat and wait for the other passengers to fill it up, or you can pay for the other passengers' empty seats. So if I'm the 3rd person in the car, I can pay for 3 ppl to make up the difference and go, so that I don't have to wait.

I can't decide if it's environmentally conscious- and thereby good, or just a really dumb idea. But i don't mind paying a small share, and I don't feel like paying for no-shows, so I'll sit back and wait. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment