Monday, April 9, 2012

Casablanca

Well I'm finally here in morocco!! The flight couldn't have been better. Royal air maroc did a really nice job and with plenty of empty rows available, I slept the whole time. I arrived at my hotel by 8am and woke up again at noon, ready to take on the city.

First impressions of Casa, and I do this to every city, it is so much like Cairo. Busy, busy, noisy, disorganized traffic. The architecture is beautiful, old, and poorly preserved; and the streets are lined with palm trees, garbage and sand. Smells of gasoline and burning garbage. Men and women in galabayas- or jelabas a they call them here. Lots of hassles from men in the street. Sharp contrasts between the rich and poor. It is struggling to be a modern city, but it seems like it can't get out of its own way in some parts. I'm sure it's fine to live here, but my instincts were right to only spend a day here. I will say the weather is perfect. Neither hot nor cold, and the sun is shining bright, it's perfect.

Language-wise, I'm really struggling. This Arabic is nothing like the Arabic I speak, and my French is pretty lousy. I form sentences using whatever French and Arabic words I can find and just leave it up to them to figure out.

Hassan II mosque was impressive and i had a nice walk along the atlantic coast. While my hotel is centrally located in the medina, I'm having a really hard time navigating the streets. In fact, it took me so long to find the Restaurant du port de peche, one of the most raved about seafood rests, that I missed lunch service and will have to try again after 7pm. Couldn't find the second option, couldn't find the street to get to the third option, so sadly, I've surrendered at some touristy cafe.






<

Moroccan mint tea just always hits the spot and i tried an avocado juice, which I'd read about. Just imagine a plain avocado mixed with milk. No sugar or salt. It is really interesting and nutritious.

Tonight I'll reattempt the restaurant and I'll wake up early to go to the hamam tomorrow before I head to Rabat!!

1 comment: